Funding is received from the Government based upon the numbers of children who are recognised as being in the following groups: children who receive Free School Meals (FSM) or have been in receipt of FSM in the last six years (known as ‘Ever 6 FSM’), children who are Looked After (LAC) and children who have at least one parent who is a member of the Armed Forces or who have been so in the last four years.
The school decides how best to use this funding and we identify children to receive different support because they are ‘vulnerable’ in some way or another. Children from Service Families may not need academic support but we have the resources to support their particular circumstances.
The school is able to use the Pupil Premium funding to support children using different strategies and can also support parents with financial help (such as part or full payments for school trips, residential activities and access to enrichment activities). We currently use these guidelines to help us decide how best to use our Pupil Premium funding:
- Children currently eligible for FSM (whether they take up meals or not)
- Children who are Looked After
- Children who have been previously eligible for FSM (Ever 6). Requests for financial support will be considered upon application and the full context of the home situation taken into account and at the discretion of the Executive Headteacher.
- Children in special or exceptional circumstances which may include hardship (but not yet eligible for FSM), disruption in the family, unexpected changes to circumstances which give cause for concern, family emergencies, bereavement and loss, at the discretion of the Executive Headteacher.
- Service Children who are experiencing particularly difficult circumstances such as: long-term deployment of a parent, return of parent from deployment, injury or death of a parent in service, relocation of family and transition to a new school.
The Executive Headteacher is responsible for deciding how best to use this funding on a day-to-day basis and the Governors develop and agree plans for the effective use of it in Full Governing Body meetings.